Jesus the Way Out of the Fly Bottle - 11-20-21

 Wittgenstein said that the goal of philosophy is "to show the fly the way out of the fly bottle" (Philosophical Investigations, article 309). And, while Wittgenstein is slowly showing us the way to Jesus, I'll cut to the chase and proclaim the truth that Jesus is the way out of the fly bottle. That's right, Jesus said, "I am the Way (out of the fly bottle), the Truth, and the Life."


20 years ago today, I cried out to God, accusing Him of doing a bad job. He gave me a vision that night and woke me up early that morning to meet Him. The Holy Spirit glowed above my bed, embracing me spiritually and sensationally. This experience turned on the fulcrum of the vision, what infinite loss - and gain - it was that the Son of God died for my sins.

You see, the bottle that I lived in was my body apart from Christ, my flesh that contaminates my thinking, breeding resentments, perversions, and unhealthy desires. Jesus shatters that with His death on the Cross and brings new life by His resurrection. And, being God, being the Son of God, it not only works, but He responds when you knock.

I had come to agree with this thesis, however holding on to volumes of unbelief, but November 20th, 2001, turned my world upside down the moment I realized it was absolutely true. The several minutes of indescribable bliss ended abruptly when my flesh, the fly bottle that has entombed me for now, came back with a vengeance. I realized that all the things I'd ever done were known to God and a bolt of pure terror shot up my spine. The light was now illuminating the entire room at 345 am and I looked around to see if there was any other source for it. There wasn't. My focus returned to the glowing cloud but it was now rapidly weakening, and moments later, it disappeared. The bottle I am trapped in may live to die another day, but Jesus has put it on notice.

Stephanie Gretzinger sings about Jesus when she says, "You love me more in a moment than anyone could love me in a lifetime." Amen to that! I know. I know from personal experience. Twenty years ago, Jesus gave this fly an everlasting hug and showed this fly the way out of the fly bottle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the War on Truth Is Destroying Our World Part One

The Joke’s on You - A Believer’s Letter to Nonbelievers

Christian Thoughts on Hosting a Gay Wedding